COVID-19 in Brief
COVID-19 clinical trials, lifted bans, and an improving reputation… What’s new in business?
Maryam Mahdi | | Quick Read
This article was published in our sister publication, The Small Molecule Manufacturer, which celebrates the field of small molecule drug development and manufacturing with interviews and articles focusing on success stories, equipment, and new processing techniques. Read more about The Small Molecule Manufacturer here https://themedicinemaker.com/manufacture/small-but-never-forgotten
- Both the FDA and EMA have issued statements about the potential dangers of using hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, two antimalarial drugs, in COVID-19 patients. There has been high interest in using the drugs as potential COVID-19 treatments. Studies are ongoing, but some early results suggest they may not be effective.
- Indian officials have partially lifted the ban on the export of a number of medicines, including hydroxychloroquine and acetaminophen. The country initially banned the export of some drugs to quell the rising domestic concern about drug shortages. The decision to reverse the ban came after a call between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President Donald Trump.
- Data published by APCO Worldwide indicates a shift in the American public’s perception of the pharma industry; 58 percent of survey respondents said US companies are more likely to create breakthrough therapies, while 68 percent were optimistic that a treatment would be developed for COVID-19. “That shows me that the public has a hopeful attitude, and almost enthusiasm, about what companies can do to solve this problem. And what a change that is from years of people basically beating up on pharmaceutical companies,” said Jack Kalavritinos, a senior director at APCO.
Enjoy our FREE content!
Log in or register to gain full unlimited access to all content on the The Medicine Maker site. It’s FREE and always will be!
Or register now - it’s free and always will be!
You will benefit from:
- Unlimited access to ALL articles
- News, interviews & opinions from leading industry experts
- Receive print (and PDF) copies of The Medicine Maker magazine
Or Login via Social Media
By clicking on any of the above social media links, you are agreeing to our Privacy Notice.