The Mitochondrial Trojan Horse
Shuttling anticancer drugs directly into the cell’s powerhouse with MOFs
Maryam Mahdi | | Quick Read
This article was published in our sister publication, The Small Molecule Manufacturer, which celebrates the field of small molecule drug development and manufacturing with interviews and articles focusing on success stories, equipment, and new processing techniques. Read more about The Small Molecule Manufacturer here https://themedicinemaker.com/manufacture/small-but-never-forgotten
Researchers at the University of Cambridge have developed a metal-organic framework (MOF) that helps deliver cancer drug candidates directly to mitochondria (1).
According to David Fairén-Jiménez, a researcher at the university, the MOFs developed by his team enter the cells via receptor-mediated endocytosis, “smuggling” drugs into mitochondria. “We loaded our MOFs with dichloroacetate, an anticancer drug candidate currently undergoing clinical trials, and found that the drug-loaded MOFs can reduce the drug dose needed to kill cancer cells, something that could lessen the side-effects of chemotherapy,” he said (2).
Fairén-Jiménez admits the research is just “one piece in a jigsaw” of effort around the possibilities of MOFs for targeted drug delivery. His group is currently expanding its work to investigate the potential of different MOFs, anticancer drugs, and coatings.
Enjoy our FREE content!
Log in or register to gain full unlimited access to all content on the The Medicine Maker site. It’s FREE and always will be!
Or register now - it’s free and always will be!
You will benefit from:
- Unlimited access to ALL articles
- News, interviews & opinions from leading industry experts
- Receive print (and PDF) copies of The Medicine Maker magazine
Or Login via Social Media
By clicking on any of the above social media links, you are agreeing to our Privacy Notice.
- S Haddad et a.l, “Design of a Functionalized Metal–Organic Framework System for Enhanced Targeted Delivery to Mitochondria”, J Am Chem Soc, 142, 6661, (2020).
- Chemistry World, “MOF delivers cancer drug candidate straight to mitochondria”, 2020. Available at: https://bit.ly/3boP0FR